Labels

#5: My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges


#5: My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges

My Morning Jacket has been recognized as a talented group since the turn of the 21st century.
I remember when a friend of mine had me listen to their stuff before nobody had any idea who they were. Needless to say, I was not a big fan at that time, but I definitely knew to keep an eye out for them at that point. Jim James, MMJ's vocalist had one of those "love it or hate it" voices, similar to that of Coheed's Claudio Sanchez. I've always liked voices such as these, so as years passed, I became more and more of a fan of MMJ.

Fast forward to 2008. Evil Urges was being hyped as one of the best albums of the year months before it even came out. I knew I was going to hear something special, but I didn't expect it to be as good as it actually was. More than ever before, the band displays their ability to craft an amazing song. They remind me a lot of The Carpenters and Captain and Tenille in that sense. They don't stick to a certain formula of songwriting, they just pen songs from their mood and their hearts.

I sadly must admit that I have yet to witness MMJ perform live. I have been suffering through the amazing reviews on their live performances, with the inability to see them here in Orlando, Florida. It seems that every time they have been here, I haven't been able to attend. Sad, I know.

Posted byLogan Lenz at 22:56  

0 comments:

Post a Comment