Labels

#13: Ray LaMontagne - Gossip in the Grain


#13: Ray LaMontagne - Gossip in the Grain

If I had to name the best male vocalists around today, I would recite names like Jamie Lidell, Joey Eppard, and definitely Ray LaMontagne. Ray, quite possibly, may actually possess one of my favorite male voices of all-time - alongside Stevie Wonder and Freddy Mercury. For whatever reason, Ray hasn't gained the fame of a Josh Groban or Jack Johnson, but I would like to blame it primarily on American stigma.

Ray LaMontagne has a very "throwback" sound to his voice. His voice alone make his albums sound as if they were recorded in the 70s. Gossip in the Grain is no exception as it features more of the same vintage style that I adore so much. There is no question that Ray is one of my favorite singer-songwriters around today - next to the likes of Iron and Wine and Rocky Votolato.

You will probably hear songs like "You are the Best Thing" and "I Still Care For You" in movies and commercials, like you have so many Ray tunes in the past. For some reason, though, you will not see Mr. LaMontagne on the cover of any magazines or being followed by the paparazzi anytime soon. And that to me, is the greatest astonishment.

Posted byLogan Lenz at 17:06  

0 comments:

Post a Comment